English Weekly Challenge | Reading 3



Để giúp bạn đọc duy trì thói quen ôn tập đều đặn, series “Thử thách tiếng anh hằng tuần” này sẽ cập nhật các bài tập chuyên sâu về ba mảng kiến thức: Từ vựng, Ngữ pháp và Đọc hiểu vào mỗi tuần. Các nội dung thực hành được thiết kế và sắp xếp từ trình độ B1 trở lên, hướng tới phục vụ đa dạng nhóm học viên ở nhiều lứa tuổi, từ các bạn học sinh phổ thông cho đến người trưởng thành đi làm. Đây sẽ là công cụ bổ trợ tinh gọn giúp bạn củng cố lại kiến thức, kiểm tra năng lực hiện tại và từng bước nâng cao trình độ tiếng Anh một cách chủ động.

__________________________

Trong tuần này, chúng ta sẽ cùng thực hiện bài đọc và chọn các từ phù hợp vào chỗ trống

Exercise 1

Colouring books


Many people probably used to spend time adding colour to pictures in colouring books when they were children. However, once people get older, very few of them continue with the hobby. Instead, they (1)…………….. their crayons away in the cupboard forever.


However, psychology researchers now think that even for adults, (2)…………….. as little as ten minutes a day colouring pictures in this way can bring huge (3)…………….. For example, some people say that it improves their (4)…………….. for a while by making them feel more cheerful and generally calmer.Language Resources


One reason for this may be that other activities (5)…………….. with art, such as drawing or painting, can actually be quite stressful, especially if you don’t feel very successful at it. But adding colour to a picture that’s already drawn for you (6)…………….. only a low level of skill, so you can relax rather than becoming anxious about it!


1   A   leave              B   set                    C   give                 D   put

2   A   taking             B   completing     C   spending        D   filling

3   A   benefits         B   interests          C   favours           D   uses

4   A   character       B   mood               C   condition       D   mind

5   A   connected     B   joined               C   compared      D   attached

6   A   depends        B   calls                  C   lacks                D   requires


______________________________________


Exercise 2

Travel writer

Tim Greenwood lives in Oakland, USA. He has written about Cambodia, Thailand and India. At the moment he is writing a book about Nepal.


Tim, how did you start travelling?

We never travelled as a family, but when I was a teenager I saw movies like Lawrence of Arabia and they made me want to travel. I left college at the age of 21 and went to Europe alone. That trip didn’t go well – I was too young and didn’t know how to look after myself.Language Resources


How did you start writing?

I’ve loved writing since I was ten – I’ve never wanted any other career. At 21, I wrote for my weekly college paper and then started writing travel articles. At first, none of the travel magazines I sent them to wanted to buy them, but that slowly changed. It took two or three years, I guess.


What do you find difficult about writing?

It is easy to spend all my time travelling and then not have time to open up my laptop and work! Also, it’s hard to earn enough money. I’ll never stop writing, but one day I may have to do a few hours a week teaching just to pay the bills.


What’s the best thing about being a travel writer?

I get letters from young people who’ve read my books and articles and enjoy my work. I just love that!


1   As a teenager, Tim

      A   went on trips with his parents.

      B   became interested in seeing the world.

      C   spent too much time watching TV.


2   What does Tim say about his trip to Europe?Travel & Transportation

      A   He didn’t have time to see everything.

      B   It was more fun than college.

      C   It was not a great success.


3   When Tim was 21, he couldn’t

      A   travel as much as he wanted to.

      B   decide what to write about.

      C   sell many of his articles.Movies


4   In the future, Tim thinks he might

      A   do some extra work.

      B   earn more from writing.

      C   change his job.


5   What does Tim like about being a travel writer?

      A   hearing from his fans

      B   giving advice to people

      C   meeting other young writers





Answer exercise 1

1 D   2 C   3 A   4 B   5 A   6 D


Answer exercise 2

1   B

2   C

3   C

4   A

5   A


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOM-TOM - Beyond the Hexagone

Tập đọc đoạn văn ngắn tiếng Trung HSK1 (Bài 1)

Luyện đọc bảng chữ cái Hiragana - Katakana qua trò chơi